My first thoughts about words, reading, writing and speaking languages were that they are essential to expressing our feelings, ideas and stories to others. Without them we wouldn't be able to communicate our thoughts with anyone. I enjoy reading and writing as long as I find the topic is something that interests me otherwise it can become unbearable. Learning new languages or just understanding a few words in a different language can always be helpful in life.
My earliest memories of language or words were listening to lots of music since I was about 3 or 4. I use to love watching disney movies and I especially liked listening to the songs. I had sing-a-long tapes of some disney songs and I would memorize the words to the songs.
English is the only language that I can speak fluently but I do understand some other languages. I understand some Spanish because I have taken spanish in school for a couple of years. I also understand some Hindi because of watching lots of hindi movies as I was growing up. I don't think I have an accent but my parents do have a slight Guyanese accent. Their accents have become weaker through the years but are still there.
I remember in elementary school that I had to practice cursive writing all the time. My teachers always told me that when I got older that I would be expected to write in cursive for my classes. I was better at writing in cursive then than I am now. I had my own workbook only for cursive writing. I wrote very slowly when I wrote cursive words to make sure it was as neat as it could possibly be.
A time when writing went particularly well for me was when I wrote a poem on about following in a person's footsteps in high school. I used microsoft word to shape words in poem into a footstep. I just imagined how difficult it is to live up to everyones standards and to live up to expectations. It's something that I think most people could relate to.
I have never fallen in love with a piece of writing before but there have been books that I really liked. When I was in middle school I used to like to read R.L Stine books. I read many of his fear street series books not so much for the horror aspect but because I found they were full of suspense and mystery.
I believe that all my English teachers have helped me in some way with my writing especially my 11th and 12th grade teachers. They pushed me to be more descriptive with my writing and to analyze the meanings behind other pieces of writing more than I did before.
Diaries, online writing and poetry have helped to develop my writing by improving how I express my feelings and opinions. Writing letters and online writing have improved how I write opinions to get my point across. Poetry and diaries have helped me to develop how I write my feelings and emotions on certain topics.
Reading has helped me to expand my vocabulary and has showed me diiferent styles of writing. I like to read stories that have alot of suspense, mystery and conflict between characters. I like reading stories about characters around my age because they always have traits that I can relate to.
I like to write when I have a fully thought out idea in my mind. It doesn't really matter where I write as long it isn't noisy. It is easier for me to write when I am alone rather than when with other people around. When I get an idea I usually write it out with paper and a pen. I believe that I write better with less distractions around me.
My strengths as a writer and learner are that I am a good listener and that I focus on getting my tasks done on time. I want to learn how to be more creative in my writings because I sometimes have trouble expanding my ideas into longer interesting writings.
No comments:
Post a Comment