Friday, September 25, 2009

A Racial Encounter

It was the first day of 8th grade. Everything from the school, the hallways and the people were unfamiliar to me. I remember walking down the endless hallways until I found the main office where one of the advisors introduced me to another new student. The advisor told us that we would be in alot of the same classes so we could help each other since it was our first days in a new school. I introduced myself to her and she told me her name was Marra. She was the first white kid that I'd met since I had started middle school. For the past two years at my old middle school I had never known or even seen any white kids in the hallways. My new middle school was completely different since the majority of students were white and jewish.
Marra was from Pennsylvania and I don't really remember if she was Jewish or not. She was tall, skinny, well dressed and overall a pretty girl. As we walking down the hallway to our first classes she told me alittle bit about herself and about how nervous she felt. I felt the same exact way. When she told me where she lived I quickly realized that her family must be wealthy. I was afraid that she might turn out to be a snuck up snobby rich girl but the more I talked to her the more I realized that that she wasn't.
She turned out to be a down to earth sweet girl who wasn't that complicated to figure out. She was a genuinely nice person and even though we looked completely different when it came to skin color it didn't seem to matter when we talked. We both agreed that starting a new school just seemed strange and that we were glad to have each other around so atleast we wouldn't have to go through this alone. She became my first friend and we stayed friends all that year. Meeting her helped me clear some of my misconceptions and also was another example for me that I should judge people for who they are and not what they look like.

2 comments:

  1. Moral of the story: You don't have to be like someone to get along with them. :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. This totally fits your two homes theme. I like that it's not cynical, and how in your details you say how you can't remember details, like if she's jewish or not.

    ReplyDelete