Thursday, December 3, 2009
Academic Service Learning 3
Today I completed my last two hours of service. I went back to the St. John's Baptist school for the last official day of tutoring. Me and two other tutors got to work with two of the 8th grade girls. We helped them study for an upcoming social studies test on Reconstruction in the South. After doing a little bit of studying we most talked about other things like what they were going to do for Christmas and their favorite types of music.What I found interesting and kind of funny was that they believe that they are old. They think of themselves as already being old even though they're only in the 8th grade which I thought was crazy since I consider myself to be old. In a way I can understand their thinking because I think kids today talk about more things that adults would talk about. The things they talk about would be things that college students would talk about so I guess they can say they're mature for their age. Tutoring/Mentoring was a good way to spend my six hours of service because it was easy to talk and listen to the kids while aiding them in school work if they needed it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment