Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Academic Service Learning

I did my first 2 hours of service learning on the first wednesday in november. I decided that I wanted to tutor because working with younger kids is always interesting. It was my first time tutoring anyone so I was alittle nervous but when I found out that we were going to tutor 2nd graders I knew I really had nothing to worry about. Three other tutors and I went to St. John's Baptist school in Brooklyn to tutor. The school building may have looked a little old from the outside but the school inside was clean and had a cozy feeling. We had a class of about 15 kids and we gave them a packet of worksheets on compound words to do. Most of them knew what they were doing and didn't need much help. I worked with one girl the most. Her name was Tatiana. She knew what she was doing but she would get stuck every once and awhile. I would try to give her hints until she would get the answer. i tried to let them figure out the answer first instead of just telling them it. It was an easy 2 hours because they were all pretty well behaved. It was nice to see that they were focused on getting all the sheets done instead of doing nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment